Metro: Beyond

Concrete Caves

The clarification made Sera feel a bit better for him, knowing the people he cared about were safe. She wasn't so heartless as to want families to... Well, she decided she didn't want to think harder on the topic. So she was happy to switch gears away from the grim.

"Ah, so I've met my competition." She chuckled, giving him a lopsided grin as she leaned back in her chair. "What gave it away?"

A quiet chuckle bubbled out of her, but it was barely audible since she was doing her best at loud noises to a minimum. She didn't want to take any risks. But they appeared to be safe for the time being, so she didn't have to worry as much.

@Dragon

She grinned, reaching down and patting on her trusty bag. It had served her well, and there was never a lack of pockets. Some of it's pockets even had pockets. In order to be a good and efficient as finding and storing her bullets and and any other useful items she found along the way. 

"You're pretty observant." Sera raised an eyebrow at him as she started to shrug off her jacket.

Once she had set it to the side she was made very aware of her state of hunger when her stomach erupted with an angry growl. Even she looked surprised to hear it, and she chuckled nervously. She hadn't had a chance to eat that morning before she got on her way, so digging into her pack for some rations sounded amazing right about then. But, figuring he had heard the growling of her stomach as well, she looked back at Derek.

"Feeling safe enough to eat?" She asked him as she pulled her bag in front of her, her gaze sliding over to the door that separated them from the watchman roaming the rest of the building.

@Dragon

"Eh, I always had to be guarding station gates," Derek answered with a crooked smile, "details can make all the difference."

He couldn't help but hear the rumble of her stomach. It was amusing in the moment. There they were, hunkered down in a dark room to ride out a storm - their stomachs not much caring about circumstance. 

Derek shifted a bit as he looked to the door, "That looks sturdy enough," he answered after a moment, rolling his shoulders, "I don't think that watchman is hunting, anyway. Just looking for shelter. But worst case, I can stop it before it gets through easy enough," he said as he slowly shifted the strap of his rifle off his shoulder, sliding the weapon to lean beside the desk. 

@HalesTheComet

• 1 month later...

"You're all too right about that."

She nodded before smiling victoriously at recovering an sealed bag of jerky that had been stuck near the bottom of her pack. Looking over at him she held up the bag and raised a brow, silently offering it to him.

"As long as it doesn't get hungry we'll be fine, you mean." She smiled. "Don't worry, I trust you and your gun."

@Dragon

"You're right," Derek nodded, giving a faint smile. He felt like they were safe. It wasn't the first time he'd hunkered down from a storm near mutants, "I've got a couple of cold potatoes if you want to share," he offered. 

@HalesTheComet

"I'd like that."

She smiled, taking a piece of jerky from the bag before offering it to him. She took a bite of the tough meat, gnawing on it for a moment, which was an attractive sight to be sure. But she didn't really care about appearances. She was dirty from head to toe anyways so it was too late to be worrying about impressing anyone.

"Potatoes are one of my favorites."

Derek thanked her as he took the strip she passed to him. He started to gnaw on it while he shrugged his pack off and rummaged, "These would actually be pretty damn good if we could risk a fire in here," he said as he pulled them out, "my god mother is a great cook. They're done up and seasoned, so better than just a plain cold spud," he shrugged as he handed her the slightly bigger of the two. 

@HalesTheComet

"If only we had the luxury." 

She sighed and nodded, the thought of his god mother's home cooking making her mouth water. Accepting the potato, she took a bite into it. It wasn't great, but it was enough. Besides, there was no room for complaining in situations like theirs. Getting more comfortable, she eased her back against the wall.

"Even some salt would be fine."

Sera chuckled and gave a little shake of her head. Now she couldn't stop thinking about steaming hot potatoes.

@Dragon

"It's a shame salt is getting so difficult to find on the surface anymore," Derek nodded, "it'd perk up a lot of dishes." 

He glanced toward the door as it rattled a bit, soon determining it was only the wind. Outside their shelter the storm was really beginning to howl. It almost seemed to shake the walls, but fortunately the structure seemed to be holding up just fine. 

"So where are you headed to?" he asked conversationally, just in case this turned out to be one of the long storms. 

@Morrigan

"Home now. I've gathered enough of what I need."

She patted her bag, the faint sound of metal objects clinking together able to be heard. She had gone and scavenged for as many gun parts as she could carry, as well as scrap metal for forging her own items. Taking another bite into the potato, she looked at him.

"How much longer do you plan on staying out here?"

@Dragon

"Well, I was planning to start angling back home sometime today," he answered, "but I was forced off course before the storm rolled in. Was hoping I could find access to one of Hanza's station, sell off what I have and maybe hitch a rail car back to Polis." 

@HalesTheComet

It seemed they were pretty like-minded. She nodded, taking a bite of jerky now and gnawing herself off a bit. Home was calling, and she was eager to return. Though, home was also lonely. It was the one thing that wouldn't change when she returned. But as she sat there with him she relished the feeling of not being alone.

"That all sounds like a pretty good plan. Luckily for you, I know where an access point is."

"Would you take me in? I'd pay for the guide service," Derek half smiled as he offered, "we're still a good ways off from the station I had decided to head for, and there's a lot of threat from bandits and mutants between us and there." 

@HalesTheComet