Metro: Beyond

Princess no longer

After excusing herself from Seth's room she tentatively started to meander the station. She knew that casual browsing could get you in trouble so she stayed in the more densely trafficked areas. The market, the trade sections. She was carefully browsing things there and wandering a little aimlessly as she looked at what was available. Most things, like normal, were utilitarian. Things that helped you. but there were a few trinkets here and there.

As she wandered Tonka watched the people. It seemed tense there. Like there were issues. She was getting side-eyed, she assumed it was because she wasn't from this station and people were wary of her so she tried to keep her head down as she moved. She pulled out her necklace from her shirt, one her dad gave her for her fourth birthday just before everything went to hell, she ran the trinket back and forth in a nervous fashion.

It was as she was walking along that a man took her by the wrist and started to accuse her of stealing it. "Let go," she jerked back to pull her wrist free but when he didn't let go she kneed him in the groin so he doubled over. She only got a few steps back before she was being pulled in by guards but they weren't exactly rough but stern that she had to come with them and instead of making a bigger scene she just went with them figuring Seth or Richie likely would come explain it for her.

It wasn't until they were trying to take the necklace away from her that she kicked up any shit. "Fuck you. This is mine," she said to the guard as she took a quick step back. "I want to see my brother. Go get my brother right now," she demanded. "Don't you touch me," she said using tools that Seth taught her over the years to make sure she could take care of herself if anyone made an unwanted advance.

@Dragon

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When the guard attempting to take the necklace pressed, Tonka kicked up enough of a fuss that the sound echoed down the hallway. It was right about the time another of them had leaned into Red's office to alert him of the trouble, since a non-resident was involved. 

Red leaned back in his chair briefly, huffing as he rubbed his jaw. He tossed his pen onto the desk and stood, stepping around to go investigate the commotion. 

He'd already been told why Tonka had been brought in, but even so as he came into the doorway he growled at the guard involved, "What in fuck's sake is all the commotion about?" 

@Morrigan

Tonka looked up to Red and instead of backing down or balking like she likely should have especially in front of the guy that was her dad she guessed she stood up straighter looking more stubborn than ever like she'd punch Red too if he took their side. "This guys trying to take my necklace and give it to that guy because he lying and saying its his and that I stole it," she said. "And I didn't fucking steal it," she said turning to snap at the guard keeping her hand around it protectively.

@Dragon

Red looked between Tonka and the guard for a moment. He noted the way she squared her shoulders back and bowed up even further rather than shrinking back. It was even more impressive considering her state when she'd first arrived. 

It also suggested that maybe she was telling the truth, and the newfound courage came from defending something dear. And perhaps now he was only making excuses himself now.... but the girl had lived her life in the Reich. Considering what he'd heard about that lot over the years, it seemed she had too many hands for a thief. 

He turned his gaze fully on the guard in the room, "And who accused her?" 

@Morrigan

He pointed to the man. He was a newer person but he'd still been in the station at least a month, possibly more. He was often in the market and had a small stall of what seemed like trinkets and random pretty things for ladies. "She stole it from me I saw her. She stopped by my items and a few minutes later she was playing with it on her neck," he accused.

"I didn't even touch anything at your stall it all looked like junk that you stole from other people," she countered, "My dad gave this to me and it's all I have left," she said as she then realized who was standing right there for a second which did make her falter. "It's not his," she repeated a little more reverently to him shaking her head."

@Dragon

Red gave the man's accusation a chance. He was trying to be fair, even if it was a strange position to find himself in. 

But Tonka's rebuttal brought his gaze back to the young woman. Red looked her in the eye, glancing down at the grip on the trinket. He couldn't see it under her hand now, and hadn't seen it since she'd arrived, but he knew exactly what it looked like. 

"Well I recall this one came into the station with a necklace on," Red spoke, lying in this instance - for a purpose of course, "perhaps you should describe the piece you're missing," he suggested. 

@Morrigan

Fortunately for Tonka until she pressed it between her fingers it had been hidden under her shirt. “It’s silver,” he started slowly. “With a trinket on it. A rose,” he said as vaguely as possible. 

Tonka looked up to Red and shook her head. “It’s not that,” she said to Red. It wasn’t even close. He was fortunately close enough to her that she opened up her hand just enough for Red to see before clamping her hand back down around it. It was worn, you could tell she tried to take good care of it but the polish had worn off and it wasn’t nearly as shiny as the day he’d given it to her. It even had and inscription on the back with her name on it but she didn’t point that out.

@Dragon

With the answer Red breathed slowly through his nose, It was an expression of irritation with the situation - mostly aimed toward the man. Red didn't know if he was lying or simply mistaken, but he was causing strain and damage he hadn't reckoned on. 

"Is the trinket silver also?" 

@Morrigan

“Yes,” he affirmed to him. Tonka glances at the guard who seemed to be glaring back at her like if she had just handed it over he’d be getting his cut right then. Probably how the man got the rest of his jewelry too.

@Dragon

If there was any doubt, that answer swept it away. Red's jaw went tight briefly. 

"I think you must be mistaken," he said, pausing to beckon Tonka in closer. When she stepped tentatively forward he motioned to the chain around her neck, "May I?" he asked, motioning without fully reaching. 

@Morrigan

Tonka glanced up to him warily before she released her grip around it. She didn't know this guy but knew what the guy was describing wasn't her necklace so she tugged it up over her head her hair catching for a second before she placed it in Red's outstretched palm. "I want that back," she reminded him.

@Dragon

He nodded to assure that she would. Red let the trinket set in his palm and the chain drape through his fingers, "This looks like worn white gold to me," he said after a moment, lifting his hand enough to let the pendant drop from his palm, "and its been a long time since I've seen a rose, but I don't recall them ever looking like this," Red made sure everyone present in the moment saw the crescent moon shape of the pendent. 

@Morrigan

The man was obviously getting flustered. "Why should I have to explain it. It's in your hand there plain as day," he said indicating with his hand.

Tonka tapped on Red's arm. "The back," she reminded him. It was small but it was there.