Metro: Beyond

Bitter Farewells

Charlotte Daniels

Asche caught the look and gave a shallow nod and a reassuring smile, "I trained as a field medic. I'll patch him up as soon as we leave that beast behind," she promised quietly, "come on. I doubt whatever food he brought along is going to keep it occupied long." 

@Morrigan

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charlotte nodded as they started to look for a way out. Charlotte tried to be quick as the blood was a surefire way to attract more creatures like watchmen toward them. So she found a set of stairs that were near the back of the building on the other side from the bear. "I found stairs," she called out.

There was a few steps missing which meant they would have to possibly jump.

@Dragon

Asche quickly trotted to where Chuck's voice had sounded from. As she reached the stair well she frowned briefly, "Shit," she murmured as she looked over the missing few, twisting back towards Damian, "do you think you could make a leap if you have to?" she asked, looking to his bloodied leg. 

@Morrigan

"Anything that gets us away from that bear," he said as he partly limped over. "I'll go first," he said as he shifted his shoulders and indicated that they should move.

@Dragon

"No, wait," Asche set a hand against his arm to stop him, "let me. I can make sure its going to hold our weight first. We shouldn't risk you taking another bad blow right now." 

@Morrigan

Damian looked to her and he wanted to argue mostly because he just wanted to get this trip over with and back to his cot in Oberon but he nodded and put up a hand up dismissively. Ne neglected to point out that if it couldn't hold him then it certainly wouldn't hold either of them but he knew it was just frustration and pain getting the better of him. "Ladies first then."

@Dragon

Asche moved forward and started down the stairwell. The first few felt sturdy enough. When she got down to the second step before the gap she shouldered her rifle, reached for the steel railing anchored into the wall, then stepped one foot down and gave a hard stomp. Once. Twice. Three times. Each time harder than the last. It held solidly. 

She stepped fully onto it, hesitating briefly as she looked down to the platform. It was a long jump, really. If she didn't land it right she risked rolling or even breaking her ankle. But she'd absolutely do one of the two if she simply tried to land on the stairs again. 

Asche took a moment to gather her nerve, swallowed, and then sprang forward. In the end she over did it a bit - she ended up hitting the opposite wall as she came down, forced to twist self awkwardly so her shoulder absorbed most of the impact. She grunted as she hit both wall and ground at the same time, but shook it off immediately as she turned, "Alright, Chuck you come next. Toss me your pack first." 

@Morrigan

Charlotte looked hesitant because it looked like it hurt but she nodded as she pulled off the pack. "Please catch this. It has some of my more sensitive tools," she reminded the woman as she tossed it down to her as she got ready similarly to how Asche had. "So just jump right?"

@Dragon

Asche caught the bag against her chest, then quickly set it back against the wall. She backed up herself, positioning so that she was about midway on the platform, "Jump straight into me," she nodded, "I'll catch you." 

@Morrigan

Charlotte stepped tentatively onto the same step as Asche. "Is this a bad time to mention I'm afraid of heights?" she asked them trying to make light of the situation before she did as instructed and jumped towards Asche.

@Dragon

Asche managed a short laugh with the remark. As Chuck came sailing down towards her she was able to catch the woman against her chest, staggering a step back in the process. 

"Okay," she breathed as she got them both steady, letting Charlotte loose, "head on down. I think it can support us all but I don't want to risk it. Careful - I can't go home without you," she gave a wry smile. 

Once Chuck had grabbed her pack and moved on, Asche turned back toward Damian to wait for him. She was concerned his leg might hinder his ability to jump the distance. 

@Morrigan

"You need to move," he told her. He was heavier than he looked and he didn't trust that he wouldn't knock her over as he landed as he was confident his leg would give out on the impact. He was at minimum hoping his good leg would get him across the gap.

@Dragon

"I'll be alright," Asche said, though she did take a step back before setting her feet in a broad, balance bearing stance. She made sure to stay close enough that she could jump forward if he missed the mark - she did feel that even with the injured leg, he could at least get within grasping distance of the edge, "Come on. Same as Chuck." 

@Morrigan

Damian nodded. If she was sure then he was going to do it despite the fact that his let and chest burned like hell right then. He reached up with his forearm to rub the bottom of his ribs to distract from the searing pain of his chest as he took a deep breath before he jumped. All he could think was "I hope she doesn't let me fall because of what Derek said.

It was a solid impact against both the woman and the ground and his knees buckled as she wrapped her arms around him to catch him. There was a muttered "Fucking owe" as he hit and she gripped him, not something he meant to slip but it happened. It took him nearly 30 seconds to properly recover and get his legs back under him. "Thanks," he said as he stood up taller to collect himself so they could go follow Charlotte and keep moving.

@Dragon

Asche made sure her feet were planted firmly, and braced herself as Damian made the jump. Similar to catching Charlotte, she took a staggering step back to stay on her feet - though in this case she was forced to partially lower as Damian sank partially. 

She kept her arms around him when he didn't initially push himself fully back up. In that fleeting span of time her cheek was against his neck. She could smell him - he had a masculine stench. Not dirty or foul - more of a sweaty musk. It was a kind of stink that was somehow pleasant. 

He got his feet back and pulled away. Asche released him immediately, straightening herself while he did the same. Her gaze tilted upwards, briefly, meeting with his until he turned to follow after Chuck. She looked down at herself, seeing the blood that had shed onto her flak vest. It was a significant amount. She stayed silent as she started after him, feeling a twinge of guilt for being so hasty as she'd cut his pack away. 

She gave herself a shake and followed after him, "You okay Chuck?" she asked as they reached the other woman - the nickname skewed by Asche's heavy Russian accent. It sounded almost more like Chewlk - but still not as badly butchered as her full name frequently was. 

@Morrigan