Metro: Beyond

Bitter Farewells

Charlotte Daniels

Charlotte looked to Asche. "I'm fine," she promised, "and so is my stuff so thank you," she said as she reached the door. "I think this is our way out," she indicated to the half broken door.

@Dragon

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Let's go then," Asche gave a faint smile as she moved to take the lead again. Her first priority for the moment was to find enough shelter to clean Damian up. They would push on to Polis after. 

@Morrigan

Damian's limp would get worse as they walked but he wouldn't comment or let either woman help him. He knew he was a bigger liability at this point because his shirt and pants were coated in blood.

Every step hurt and every breath hurt. But when encouraged to stop he ignored them stubbornly and pushed forward. Stopping, while it may have helped him it would have fucked them. It was quickly getting dark and the howls of the watchmen were getting closer. Despite being half delirious he knew he wasn't hallucinating.

As they came through the gates at one of the Polis entrances, the one he regularly visited it was like his mind shut down.

They were safe so once he was down the blocked off steps he fell down to his good knee. He heard shouting but it sounded more like he was underwater and they were just far away. Next his face hit the floor and he lost consciousness.

In the dark the things he saw were mostly of his infatuation, the woman that didn't return any affection at all, Their conversation and lunch, the reason he had a small book of tales in his cargo pocket, how upset she was and then the momentary pause as he regained his legs under him. It all felt like it was fading though, like he'd never remember these moments again.

@Dragon

They kept on because he insisted on moving onward. 

For the longest time, Asche couldn't decide if she was impressed by his fortitude, or simply pissed with his obstinate refusal to accept any kind of aid. 

In the end they made it back to Polis. Asche abandoned Chuck at the gate in favor of directing the Spartan medics, "It's a superficial chest wound. Keep on his leg -" she kept alongside, shouting orders to those who came to aid. 

After a long fight he was finally stabilized. 

Asche stayed with him, both to ensure he was stable, and that he would be taken care of the same as any Spartan. When he finally woke, he would find Asche curled up on a narrow bench against the wall where she had unintentionally fallen asleep while waiting for him to wake. 

@Morrigan

As he came to Damian smacked his lips a few times, his mouth was dry. If he were honest when he went down he didn't exactly expect to get up again. So as he looked around the room through his bleary eyes and saw the person in his dreams he couldn't help but give an amused huff.

He felt like hell, probably because any pain meds they provided were wearing off but he also figured this wasn't a tab he could pay either so he started to sit up to try and force himself awake enough to get back to Oberon.

His movements started to rouse her, which he was glad for. "Can I do an I owe ya from Oberon for the medical," he said as he swung his legs over the side of the bed and felt the searing pain from the back of his thigh.

@Dragon

The sound of movement caused her to rouse. She was groggy at first, but the sterile scent kicked her into gear quickly - a remnant reflex from the days when she'd been purely medical staff. 

"An I.O.U. for what?" she asked as she sat up straight, rubbing her write wrist against her eyes to clear her vision. 

@Morrigan

"For medication, services rendered," he said as he swayed a little not exactly ready to get up. "I have like three bullets which were probably stripped from my pants and I actually have to figure out how to buy new pants," he said more to himself than to Asche.

@Dragon

"You don't need to pay anything," Asche shook her head once, "you do need to lie back down, though. The bear damn near tore into your femoral artery when it caught your leg. Barely a scrap of muscle left between," she said as she stood and approached him, "its impressive that you survived all the way here at all, really. You might almost be Spartan material," she smirked. 

@Morrigan

Damian didn't immediately lie down as he looked up to her with a smirk. "I may me delirious but it almost sounded like you paid me a compliment miss Malakov," he said swaying a little more.

@Dragon

"Even us cold, hard bitches have our soft spots," Asche shrugged as she came to stand in front of him, reaching a hand to gently push against his shoulder and encourage him to lie back, "rest. You deserve it." 

@Morrigan

While he didn't fight being forced back against the bed Damian lifted a finger. "I don't believe for a second that you're a bitch or that your cold," he explained. "I think you don't like me because I said stupid shit and that you're fucking hot," he said as he closed his eyes not able to turn to the side to get away from her. "God you're so fucking hot. I can't believe I stole that book from aunt Vi for you," he muttered more to himself but his volume control was screwed.

@Dragon

"Did you dock in a head injury that I missed?" Asche asked as she settled on the edge of his cot, "Look, I don't dislike you. I just want to be treated like any other soldier when I'm geared up and in the field. And I'm pretty fucking sure no man has ever approached you and said someone was probably intimidated by how handsome you are," she pointed out, referring to a line he'd dropped on her back when they'd been snowed in during the journey to Oberon. 

@Morrigan

"No they haven't," he agreed. "But I've never been quite nearly as pretty as you," he pointed out. "It's fine," he said trying to sit up on the other side of the bed. "I need to get home anyways.

@Dragon

"Sit, dumbass," Asche commanded, raising her voice briefly, "I'll leave if your pride is that badly bruised. But you aren't leaving this medical bay until you're cleared." 

@Morrigan