Metro: Beyond
Sign in to follow this  
Charlotte Daniels

Bitter Farewells

It would be quiet but tense especially seeing the holes from the bears claws and shoulders as it thrashed about. It would be as she reached the tattered remnants of Damian's pack that she would hear the all too close howl of a watchman.

As she looked to see if anything was salvageable she'd find what he was worried about. It was a family picture well before the war. Damian couldn't have been much older than ten his parents and siblings were in it and Damian looked a lot like his dad did. Well worn like it had travelled a lot with him.

@Dragon

The calling watchmen had Asche working quickly - not that there was much left of the pack to even rummage through. She found two bullets in a fold at the bottom. The shredded remnants of... well, she wasn't sure what. Then, as she reached into an inner pocket, she found the photograph. 

"Shit," Asche sighed to herself as she looked down at it. No wonder he'd wanted to come back through so badly. 

Asche tucked the worn photo carefully into one of the inner pockets of her flak vest. The pack itself wasn't worth dragging out. She left it behind as she stole back out to go fetch Damian before the hunting watchmen caught wind of their presence. They were close enough that Asche didn't have any time to give Damian the picture when she got back. 

"Come on, we gotta move." 

@Morrigan

Damian gave his leg a last rub of his thumb before he was up and following with her toward Oberon. He didn’t ask because she hadn’t been gone long enough that he figured she even found his pack. So he pushed along as they had before they got to Oberon. 

It was easy to tell Damian still needed medical and he was a local so he was taken off while Asche was left to be inspected at the gate. 

@Dragon

"You lot wait a damn minute-" Asche started to protest when Damian was carted off. It didn't do any good, though. She ended up having to suck it up and go through the process of being checked out before she was finally allowed to pass into the station. 

As soon as she was allowed further, Asche went to the man in charge of the gates, "Did they take Damian to the med bay? I need to see him before I go." 

@Morrigan

They looked her over and frowned. “Yes and he’s under review for his injuries. What do you need?”

@Dragon

The man huffed. “Find Doctor Brass. She’ll know where he is,” he dismissed her looking the other way.

@Dragon

Asche gave a tilt of her chin and moved on. She navigated in a way, stopped for directions to the station's medical bay, and finally found her way there. 

"I was told to ask for Dr. Brass," Asche told the nurse that met her at the door, "it isn't urgent. Or if you could just tell me where Damian is, there's no need to bother her." 

@Morrigan

The nurse frowned but nodded to the door. “Dr Brass just left the room but that is his room.”

@Dragon

"Thanks," Asche murmured briefly before she headed toward the door indicated. She knocked softly before easing it open. 

"Hey," she murmured as she stepped in, "so I managed to find your pack... Well, what was left of it, anyway. I recovered this," she reached into her pocket and pulled out the two bullets, "I don't think you really care but its your money," Asche shrugged as she reached into her vest and remove the photograph, "I did manage to find this, though," she said as she came close enough to let him take it. 

"Anyway... I just wanted to make sure it actually got back into your hands before I left." 

@Morrigan

“Thanks,” Damian said with a pained smile. “It’s what I was looking for so I appreciate that you found it,” he said reaching up to scratch at the fresher bandage that was now wrapped around his otherwise bare chest.

Damian wanted to find an excuse to keep her there a few days but she wanted to get back to Polis and well she had expressed she had no interest in him. He lifted the photo. “Thanks. Stay safe on your way back,” he said. 

@Dragon