Metro: Beyond
Sign in to follow this  
Violet Selvaggio-Redford

Half a block away out

Violet watched as Seth picked up his pace and she looked over her shoulder for whatever it was that felt like it was following them. She was pretty sure that it would get her while he got away, which was why he made him move on. She took in a breath through the almost clogged filter on her mask before she started to move again.

She knew her leg wasn't broken, at least it didn't feel broken, but it felt sprained and like she had something in it that she needed to get out but couldn't sit down and do it yet.

She kept moving well into the late afternoon, she figured Seth would be getting back to the station soon and she was almost far enough away from the main part of the city that she could take off the mask, which was good as she had started to move so slow she was almost out of filters.

As she leaned against a building that seemed secure, it was on the right route she reached down to her leg and used the refreshed blood and marked a crescent on it. It took a few moments longer than she would have liked before she tucked inside and found a safe corner to hole up in and try to triage herself while she rested hoping someone would come back for her. If not, she'd have to get moving again.

@Dragon

In his initial  haste, Red had neglected to ask a few questions that he probably should have. They came to mind as he'd been checking his pack and weapons. He wasn't willing to waste any more time doubling back to the hospital, though. Seth had told him all the important information - what route they had taken, how he'd marked it, where he'd parted ways with Violet, and most importantly that Violet had still been able to move. 

That was the most important information. Enough for Red to go on. He knew his wife. Knew that she would stay on the move as long as she possibly could. So she would have covered more ground, could have still been limping along at that moment. That meant they'd either be moving toward each other, or at very least she'd found somewhere closer to hole up. 

It likely would have been wise to take Damian or Derek along for the trek, but in the end Red had decided against it. Derek was on guard duty, and Damian was still recovering from injuries - and had been oddly, almost mopey since he'd last returned from Polis. Tracking either of them down and waiting for them to prepare would have been time wasted, anyway. 

Once on the surface, Red set as brisk a pace as possible through the ruins. Unfortunately, navigating the skeleton of Moscow was never an easy task. Red was forced to pause and take cover from various threats as he navigated. Visibility became less and less as nightfall approached. He pressed on all the same, just grateful that Seth had been sensible enough to stop and place markers every so often even in spite of his haste to return to Oberon. 

Right now his biggest concern was that he might pass right on by his wife if she was holed up somewhere. After a time, that slowed his progress even more as he began pausing to shine his light on potential shelters, looking for the mark they used to communicate whenever they had to travel separately. 

@Morrigan

Violet could hear the wail of the wind and the watchmen. The occasional beating of wings in the distance from a demon. She could feel herself dwindling as the darkness started to come. She was exhausted and she knew she should get up and start moving again. She was sure that Seth had to have made it back by now but getting out to her she also knew wouldn't be easy.

She closed her eyes for what felt like a few moments before she heard a loud banging at a back door that woke her up. The darkness was nearly oppressive as she pushed herself up and grabbed her weapon to go investigate. It was about then that the door slammed open nearest her and she turned her weapon toward the sound and her husband. Relief washed over her but the banging in the back didn't stop.

"I'm so glad you're here," she muttered as she limped over to him. "There is something out back," she said to him not sure if they should just ignore it or if he should go investigate.

@Dragon

Red almost missed the crescent mark Violet had left. The light skimmed over it at first. By then the blood had dried, no longer bright red but more of a rusty color. It was the shape that caused him to double take. 

The sight brought a spark of hope, but no sense of relief just yet as he started toward the building. He started to call out, only to stop as he felt a prickle of unease. That sort of gut feeling that said something was wrong, though nothing seemed to stand out immediately. At least, not until a banging racket started up somewhere nearby. The other side of the building by the sound of it. 

Knowing that the source of the noise certainly wasn't his wife, Red picked up his pace until he was shoving his way inside. 

Red couldn't say that he'd ever felt relieved to have a gun pointed at him before then. He stopped sharply, starting to speak, but Violet recognized him quickly. He went to her immediately, "I didn't see anything as I came in," he said as he approached. There wasn't time to embrace or fuss right then, "I could hear it, though.. How well can you walk?" 

That answer would determine whether or not he tried to investigate, or try to slink back out the other way and hope to remain unnoticed. 

@Morrigan

"Not well. If I had to run I couldn't right now," she admitted to him. "Whatever happened to my leg I fucked it up pretty bad. I barely got this far before I had to rest," she admitted to him. "And I'm covered in blood," she added indicating to it despite it being hard to see in the dark with her pants. "That's why I sent Seth on," she explained to him.

@Dragon

Shit, Red cursed silently. He should have been a little more patient, and grabbed one of the boys. 

"He got back safe. I left out as soon as I could after," he murmured, "wait here. I'm gonna go try and see what the hell is out there." 

Red closed up the door he'd come in through again, then started toward the back of the building - hopefully he could get a glimpse out a window or something, rather than actually exiting the structure. Whatever the hell was causing the racket was insistent. 

@Morrigan

Violet nodded to him as she moved to get her pack settled quietly as she waited for her husband.

When Red would get to a point to see the thing it would be an injured watchmen with a head injury, it was like it was on autopilot but the blood was fresh and rancid.

@Dragon

Once he'd found a vantage point, it took Red a few moments to figure out what he was looking at. The watchman was launching itself into the door and the brick siding with suck force that its head was disfigured and partially caved. Something about it reminded Red of an old movie he'd seen... zombies came to mind, in a sense. 

It was an unsettling scene, whatever the cause behind it. 

Deciding he didn't want to find out, Red eased quietly back away from the window and paced back to his wife, "It's a watchman," he muttered as he moved to help support her, "somethings wrong with it. I'd rather not stick around to find out what. Let's get out of here." 

@Morrigan

That hadn't been what he was asking, specifically, but Red wasn't usually one to argue semantics even when there was plenty of time. 

"Let's go then. Seth told me something followed you out of there," he said lowly as they started to creep out of the shelter, "do you know what? Have you seen it recently?"

@Morrigan