Metro: Beyond

For someone so terrified of violence, Patience always found herself most comfortable around violent instruments.

She didn't have her own place in Oberon. She was apprenticed to a gunsmith, an older man named Yaroslav. She didn't know much about him. He was really nice and didn't ask her uncomfortable questions. She liked working for him.

As much as she could like anything. 

As usual, Paz was far too bundled up for environment, covering her shame with long, baggy clothes and wearing a skull cap that kept most of her hair out of the way of her work. A revolver sat in front of her, converted to a carbine. It wasn't loaded, but a part of Patience wished it was. 

It was mostly done. Just needed some wooden furniture, but she could scavenge something off the out-of-service kalashes. For now, she'd move onto something else. Her attention turned to a near-finished Helsing with a defective feed system. Annoying. She didn't make flawed work, especially not in a place as dangerous as the Metro. She took the compressed-air gun, checking the air pump and examining the cylinders with an exasperated sigh. 

@Morrigan

Edited by deTimber

Behind Seth's back, Alice promised Tonka to get her a gun when she was proficient enough with the weapons that she was teaching her. Not even her dad knew about the deal. That didn't make Tonka any less excited when Alice actually came through with her promise to bring her to the local gunsmith and get her a gun of her own. Something Tonka could tweak and maintain just for herself.

And hopefully her older brother wouldn't take away from her the moment that he knew she had it.

Alice walked in first and smiled to the girl in the shop. "Look around and show me before you decide on anything please?" Alice said.

Tonka rolled her eyes but nodded as she started to look. She kept glancing at the girl because she looked familiar.... like her face.... but she couldn't figure out why. It had been too long since she'd seen Paz for the young girl to know who she was truly but there was something about her.

@deTimber

Weird. She wasn't expecting customers today. Or anyone, really. 

Paz flicked the action shut on the Helsing before turning to Tonka, immediately feeling a strange sense of familiarity, like she'd met the girl before, somewhere. She was... very pretty, but that didn't tell Paz much other than that she was exactly as gay as she thought she was. 

"Good afternoon," Patience greeted the two girls in, only momentarily diverting her attention from the weapon in her hand to give them both a once over, before returning to her work and disassembling the airgun. Neither of them seemed to have weapons on them. "What is it you need? Repair? Order?" 

@Morrigan

"Hello. I promised her," she indicated to Tonka, "that I would get her, her own gun. We're here because we heard this shop had the best ones and I need to find out how much it will cost her to get one so I can see about saving enough to get her one. I wanted her to see what you had in stalk so we can make a decision on one that will suit her better than her brother's side arm."

@deTimber

Patience listened, already thinking of what might suit this girl. She looked competent, but not like she could handle heavy weaponry. Just as well, she didn't have much of that in stock. Patience gave the room a quick scan, before returning her attention to Alice. 

"We don't come cheap," she replied, jerking her head back towards the wall, "but I'm sure there's something for you here. What are you looking for? Rifle? Pistol? Shotgun? Something else?"

Patience's attention turned back to Tonka again. This was nagging at her, far more than it ought to. 'Son of a bitch, I know her.' Alas, no one came to mind, so she returned to her work. "I would not recommend an automatic as a first weapon for you, if it is your first, but at the end of the day, it's up to you. We have a few pre-war models, old reliables, but they will cost you extra. The homemades are equally well-made, but they're probably more in your price range."

@Morrigan

Alice tried her damnedest to not roll her eyes at the young girl when she said that their guns didn't come cheap. Nothing in the Metro came cheap, especially weapons. Its why she took such good care of her own and guarded them heavily. She gave the girl a genial smile which almost looked sinister with the bright pink scars running down her face. "This is your weapon Tonka, you need to know what you're looking for and price isn't a problem. Just need to know how much to get the bullets saved up." Tonka had both Alice and her dad capable of giving her the bullets for the purchase.

Tonka gave Alice a smile. "Pistol. Nothing big like what Alice has but I don't want a pea shooter," she said. "I also don't want a revolver. The Saturday Night special is fun but not really for me," she advised the other girl.

@deTimber

Posted (edited)

Not very specific tastes, this one, Paz noted. Normally, new customers came in two flavors- "give me something that goes 'bang bang'" and "I would like an Izmash-model PPM-109 helical submachine gun chambered in 9mm Makarov with an extended magazine, an integrated green point sight, a suppressor, and a rifle stock, preferably for under 90 bullets." 

Still, she couldn't complain. If she wanted to window shop, that gave Paz more time to window gaze. Giving Tonka a knowing nod, she turned her back to the customers before producing the first of the firearms that fit her criteria. An Ashot, chambered in 12 gauge. A quick flick of the wrist opened the barrel of the gun and allowed Paz to make a quick, cursory inspection. Nothing wrong with the gun. Closing the barrel with another flick, she flipped the gun over in her hand to avoid presenting the barrel to Tonka- her father had taught her about gun safety, after all- and placed the weapon on the counter in front of her. "Ashot, 12 gauge single shot handgun. It kicks like a mule and you only get one shot, but that one shot can drop a man from a good 50 yards if you aim it right, and further if you get slugs. If you don't plan on getting into any gunfights, I can recommend it, though it wouldn't be my choice for surface work. You don't strike me as a Stalker, but I feel it necessary to warn you regardless. Bare naked, it will run you 40 rounds, but I have some stocks, scopes, and barrel extensions that can improve ranged performance and stability if you're willing to about double that." 

Leaving the Ashot where it lie, she grabbed two more handguns. The Lolife in one hand was one she had machine-tooled herself with some help from Yaroslav, and she had confidence in her work, quickly placing it next to the Ashot before beginning yet another inspection, this time of a sleek, worn-looking semi automatic. In the meantime, she resumed her explanation. "That semi-auto is a Lolife, .44 magnum rounds, eight in the clip. Highly customizable platform- you can put stocks or scopes on it, barrel extensions, shit, if you want I can even hand you an extended mag and modify the firing sear to turn the thing into an SMG. Very reliable and good for just about any situation, but the ammunition is a bit harder to come by cheap down here. I've probably got the best prices for it anywhere, I'd reckon. The gun will run you 130 bare naked and 150 in her nicest dress. If you want the house special, that's another 30."

Satisfied with her newest acquisition, she unloaded the magazine, pulled back the slide, and presented the gun to Tonka. "Now, this one is special. This is a military-issue GSh-18 handgun, pre-war model. She's a little beat up, but the thing only has about 17 moving parts, which makes maintenance a breeze. It can fire standard 9 millimetre rounds or plus-P-plus armor piercing bullets that can punch through sheet metal. Those are pretty hard to come by, but, I happen to know people that have access to schematics and a mill that make the stuff. It doesn't come cheap, and neither does the gun. 190 nude, but you get an 18 round magazine and one of the most reliable guns bullets can buy."

Deciding that there was no better time to shoot her shot, she leaned over the counter and offered a coy smile. "Though, if I could have a name to attach to that pretty face, I'd be more than happy to talk about making a better deal."  

@Morrigan

Edited by deTimber

Tonka watched the girl, she was cute and adept with guns. She shook her head to the first one, she wasn't a good enough shot like Alice for it to be useful. If she felt she was a better shot she'd say that it would be worth it. She was only mediocre at reloading which she felt she should probably work on and would with more help from Alice once she chose her weapon of choice.

Tonka licked the back of her teeth with what she was presented with and glanced to Alice more for guidance and all the woman did was nudge her nose for her to listen to the next gun.

Tonka smiled as she looked to the girl. "My name is Tonka," she advised her as she looked at the spread that the woman had put in front of her. All a little too fancy for her. "I almost feel like you should just teach me how to use a knife," Tonka said to Alice nervously.

"A knife is an amazing weapon but I have plenty of those," she advised the younger woman.

"I just think they are really expensive and none of them are right for me."

"Don't tell me," Alice said indicating to the girl.

@deTimber

((Note that she would have been known as Tatiana in the Reich))

Huh. Tonka. Like the toy truck she used to have when she was a kid. Her dad had managed to find one in a souvenir stand in the nicer stations, at least that's how he'd explained it. Still, that didn't tell her how she knew this girl. 

"Huh. Tonka," Patience repeated, offering a warm, if thin, smile. "I'm Patience. Just call me Paz." 

With what Tonka had said in mind, Paz felt a bit sorry for the girl. It was obvious that she was having trouble figuring out what to look for, prices, the like, and Patience knew better than to leave an un-satisfied customer. "Surely there's something we can do to make things work a bit better for you? That was just the pistol offerings. There are shotguns and rifles, SMGs, shit, I think I have a couple of bolt actions in the back. If price is an issue, I'm more than willing to help you with the costs. Since it's your first gun, I mean. I don't make a habit of charity, but for you, I'll gladly make an exception."

'Nailed it.' 

Posted (edited)

Paz sighed, an involuntary pout crossing her features as she leaned over the counter, trying to think of a way to keep this beautiful girl in her shop just a little bit longer. Admittedly, there wasn't much. 

"I hate to disappoint you, Tonka, but there really isn't that much else that fits your criteria. If I could make an exception for you, I would, but this isn't even my shop yet," she explained. She still felt like she knew this girl from somewhere, but the name 'Tonka' meant nothing to her. Still. she couldn't shake the feeling. "If I make an exception for every beautiful woman who walks through here, I won't have a job, unfortunately." 

@Morrigan

Edited by deTimber
  • 2 weeks later...

Tonka smiled as she shook her head. "Its okay. I don't need an exceptions made for me. Its just what I'm looking for. Alice said that it likely wouldn't be easy and I'll be using my brothers for a while anyways. People that get them keep them normally," she advised. "I'll be in Oberon a while so I'll probably peruse again if I don't find one at any of the other stalls and shops," she said to the girl.

"Have you always gone by Paz?" she asked the other girl.

@deTimber

Paz shrugged her shoulders, offering a wan smile. "Well, if you need me, I'll be right here." 

Tonka's question caught her off guard- it was almost as if she recognized Paz as well, though she didn't want to hold out hope. "My full name is Patience Haig. My father is American. Formerly military. I... haven't seen him in a while. Why do you ask?" 

@Morrigan

"Did she, now?" Paz asked. She somehow found it hard to believe there were two Paz's in the world. She figured it might be wise to poke a bit further, just in case she was right and she knew this girl. "How did she die? Or do you remember?" 

Pazia's expression hardened, and she cocked a brow. "Or were you just told that she died?" 

@Morrigan

Edited by deTimber